The Prowler

DECA qualifies for state, internationals

Cristlyn Lewis, Associate Editor

Months of research and studying paid off after they listened their names being announced, knowing they qualified to state.

After competing in district at Klein Oak High School this past January, 16 DECA members qualified to state. State competition took place in Dallas, Texas. DECA focuses on subjects relating to marketing, finance, hospitality and management.

“The overall performance in Dallas was good, but could of been a lot better,” sponsor Bethany Meine said. “We took more students to state this year than any other year that I have been here.”

DECA completed the Global Entrepreneurship Week Campaign, the Community Service Campaign and the National Membership Campaign. By completing the three National Campaigns, they qualified for 9 spots at the Leadership Academies at DECA Internationals in Atlanta, Georgia.

“Talking one on one was very nerve-wracking before, but now that I’ve competed and been in that situation it’s cool,” sophomore Malia Villareal said. “It helped me gain skills to study for school and it helped me decide what I want to with my life.”

At a DECA competition, they put real life scenarios through role plays and written events. DECA also gives the opportunity to meet people who are successful business leaders.

“You learn things you wouldn’t in a classroom setting,” junior Lazaro Villalobos said. “Such as how to start and manage a business, along with how to deal with different scenarios.”

With our DECA chapter traveling to Dallas and Atlanta, it gave a huge learning experience to students.

“It was awesome. I’ve never competed in anything before,” Villareal said. “I’m not one to join clubs but DECA looked fun, so I’m glad I did.”

Freshman Karla Chavarria, freshman Lee Cobb, sophomore Marlene Torres, sophomore Malia Villareal, junior Silvia Arroyo, junior Melissa Villanueva, junior Jonathan Leiva, junior Tori McVey, junior Lazaro Villalobos, junior Shaylin Ardoin, junior Jonathan Ponce, junior Valarie Garcia, junior Lazaro Yanez, senior Nancy Yanez, senior Alhia Sajid and senior Griselda Soto competed at state.

Nancy said DECA means everything to her.

“I love it, it’s family where you create bonds and you can be something in school and like what you do at the same time,” she said. “We travel and I can be myself as I meet new and old people alike.”