New classes prepare students for healthcare professions

David Cooper, Contributing Reporter

The health science class is a cluster of career and technology classes that are geared toward students who are possibly interested in a career in the healthcare field.

These classes give the students an opportunity to gain knowledge and learn skills for their future careers, training and education.

Health science teacher Bobbi Hatzold said that students have already learned how to take the most important signs including: heart rate, blood pressure, and respiratory.

“Some classes will learn glucometer testing as well as hand washing techniques and patient turning techniques as well as some other hands on skills if time allows,” Hatzold said.

Junior Morgan Holbert said she likes how Hatzold teaches

“It makes it understanding and she relates it to stuff she has seen,” Holbert said  

Due to the introduction of this new program, a new Health Occupations Students of America, also known as HOSA, is up and running. HOSA is a national career and technical student organization endorsed by the U.S. Department of Education and the Health Science Technology Education Division of Association for Career and Technical Education.

HOSA will be attending a nursing home Saturday, Dec. 15, to give residents blankets and Christmas cards.

“In HOSA, we do community service at the moment and help in any health career projects,” president Rosy Solis said. “We will host the next blood drive.”

In the health science theory class, there is presently a charge of $125 to take the state certified medical assistant exam.

“I signed up for health science because I want a career in the medical field, with health science,” senior Britney Spaulding said. “It teaches you everything you need to become a medical assistant and to be prepared for the state test.”

All classes are two semester courses. The practicum scheduled for next year will be two class periods. Hatzold said in all her classes, they discuss career pathways in the healthcare field.

“We also do a lot of learning regarding job seeking skills such as communication, resume building, interview skills, etc,” she said. “These skills will help students in the future no matter what field they may choose.”

“It teaches you a lot of language when you go professional in real life situations” Holbert said

The health science program will help set up the next blood drive at Caney Creek High School this upcoming Spring.